Leaving Ponoka and Getting into Calgary

So for all you early morning risers out there who get up, go to the restroom, grab your cup of coffee and head to your computer to see what Sue has blogged from the previous night, “I’m sorry!”

Team 23 made a mad dash out of “Dodge” last night immediately after the races in Ponoka. We and a few others were slotted to get into Calgary that evening. We had lots of help to load and go, and so we departed approximately at 9:30pm and arrived safely at 11:30pm. We had a few extra kids show up to help us unload and we sure appreciated that. By the time our heads hit the pillow, the clock chimed 3am.

When in Ponoka, a new sponsor to the WPCA, Bruce’s Tru Hardware with Bruce and Mary Lynn, AKA The Red Neck Barbie, decided to put up a barn award for the best cleaned up barn, and also a few single awards to the best barn hands. They followed certain criteria and had some local businessmen and women come in and judge.

I am truly happy to say that Team 23 came out on top for the best barn award. This does take some extra work and imagination, and at the end of the day it makes me feel like I’ve brought a little bit of home with me on the road. I love the real flowers I purchased, as I normally just use the plastic ones.

We have brought them along with us to decorate in Calgary as well. I just hope and pray I can keep them alive and well. A green thumb I have not. Red is my favourite colour and someday I would love to decorate for my hubby a sea of red roses at our barn, just like at the Kentucky Derby.

crop 20150624_185308[5]

Rick had a decent turn of the barrels yesterday. He hooked a couple of newer horses of ours and was very impressed. Zorba, Keenan, Victory and Air were pulling the wagon and Cole and Dustin rode Bingo and Stadium. Those guys did an impressive job all week staying penalty free. We are looking forward to some very exciting racing in Calgary these next 10 days.

Rick and I finally got ourselves out of bed by 6:30am. Just a bit slower than usual. He fed the ponies and then had to go clean up. He was headed to the Children’s Hospital to attend a mini parade that is put on for all the patients and their families for Stampede Week. The kids totally enjoyed it and so did Rick. He greeted some of the patients, and also met some heroes. The young men that serve our country were all in uniform attending the parade. Rick goes out of his way to shake their hands, as this service they do for we Canadians is very dear to his heart. How selfless are they.

crop IMG_2433[1]

crop IMG_2435[1]

While Rick was away, we girls covered the barn chores and organized all our belongings in the tack rooms. What another busy day, especially when one is tired. At one point we took a break, and I must say our lounge chairs are the cat’s meow when it comes to a little me time.

crop IMG_5302[1]

crop 20150630_094708[2]

crop 20150701_215848[2]

This evening Rick and I brought out the paint and spruced up the chuckwagon for the big show. Kind of like a mini date we had. It got finished a whole lot faster, which made our bedtime a whole lot sooner.

crop photo 1-2

Tune in to Radio AM 700 for all the Calgary Stampede’s chuckwagon races. They will also be live on TV if you’re going to be home.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

4 thoughts on “Leaving Ponoka and Getting into Calgary

  1. Love reading your blog and always wish I could be there for the races. I love what you guys do, especially the special stuff with kids and seniors.

Leave a Reply